Friday, July 10, is the last day to early vote before the July 14 runoff elections across Texas, and campaigns are in the final sprint to the finish line.
With the pandemic ramping up across much of the state, heading to a polling location can seem like a frightening prospect at the moment. Check out a few ways to reduce your risk while voting in a pandemic, as well as this post on ATPE Lobbyist Andrea Chevalier’s experience voting.
Through Wednesday, 316,664 people cast votes in the Republican runoffs, 30% of whom voted by mail. Another 482,020 voted in the Democratic runoffs, 38% of whom voted by mail. Turnout was 1.94% for Republicans and 2.95% for Democrats, for a combined turnout of 4.89%.
Even though the turnout number is still extremely low, it marks a substantial increase from the 2.13% combined turnout by mid-week of early voting in the 2018 runoffs and 1.45% in the 2016 runoffs. Unlike previous runoff elections, Gov. Greg Abbott added an extra week of early voting during this year’s runoffs with the aim of spreading out voters to reduce crowding at polling locations.
The latest campaign finance reports show incumbents with the usual fundraising advantage. However there were some notable findings in the reports. Gov. Greg Abbott’s campaign spent at least $125,000 after jumping into the runoffs to thrash Empower Texans, after the anti-public education organization mocked the governor’s disability. Speaking of which, Empower Texans bankroller Farris Wilks gave $425,000 to son-in-law Jon Francis in House District 60, where he faces Texas Parent PAC endorsed candidate Glenn Rogers in the Republican runoff.
Campaigns have continued to find creative ways to deal with the pandemic even as infection rates soar. Futuro RGV hosted an online debate in Senate District 27, where state Sen. Eddie Lucio, Jr. (D-Brownsville) faces challenger Sara Stapleton Barrera. You can watch a video of their debate here.
Raise Your Hand Texas, which is funded by HEB owner Charles Butt to advocate for public education, hosted a pair of virtual panels this week featuring runoff races. Tuesday’s panel included state Rep. Roland Gutierrez (D-San Antonio) and attorney Xochil Pena Rodriguez, both of whom are running for the Democratic nomination to face Republican state Sen. Pete Flores (R-Pleasanton) in Senate District 19. The seat was previously held by state Sen. Carlos Uresti (D-San Antonio), before flipping Republican in a special election in 2018. You can view their discussion here.
Thursday’s panel featured Democrat Dr. Suleman Lalani and Republicans Jacey Jetton and Matt Morgan sparring for an open seat in House District 26. Lalani is in a runoff with Sarah DeMerchant, who did not participate in the panel. During the discussion, both Jetton and Morgan announced support for vouchers. You can view their conversation here.
Our friends at the Texas Educators Vote coalition remind you to vote safely and make your voice heard! This begins with reviewing voting histories and candidate profiles right here at TeachTheVote.org under the candidates tab. Happy voting!