Congressman Kevin Brady files WEP replacement bill

U.S. Representative Kevin Brady (R-TX) who chairs the U.S. House Ways and Means Committee, along with Ranking Member Richard Neal (D-MA), has introduced H.R. 6933 to amend Title II of the Social Security Act. The bill would replace the windfall elimination provision (WEP) with a formula equalizing benefits for certain individuals with non-covered employment.

Chairman Kevin Brady (R-TX)

ATPE has worked closely with Chairman Brady to bring forward a bill that addresses the inequities in the current law, which stem from the arbitrary formula known as the windfall elimination provision. The goal for both ATPE and Chairman Brady is to put in place a formula that can both pass Congress and get more money on average into the pockets of retirees by treating them more fairly than they are treated under current law.

Stay tuned to TTV for a deeper dive on the bill as well as updates as it moves through the legislative process.

Share Button

25 thoughts on “Congressman Kevin Brady files WEP replacement bill

1. randall

congressman Kevin Brady I had already worked for and earned
    my SS benefit before any law or windfall effected me, I live next door to a
    High ranking and ex board member that also talks to Rick Perry. What a shame
    to punish people that worked in High school, college, and summers,

2. Jennifer

Thank you for working on this bill. I paid into Social Security for nearly 25 years and am now a teacher in Texas. My plan is to teach another 17 years, when I’ll be 67. A revision of the formula, where we are not so heavily penalized, would be wonderful.

3. Stephanie Smith

This leaves most people over 65 with nothing. You need to actually read the bill.
    ‘‘(i) who first becomes eligible for an old-age or disability insurance benefit after 2024,
    ‘‘(ii) who subsequently becomes entitled to such benefit, and
    ‘‘(iii) who has earnings derived from noncovered service performed in a year after 1977,
    the primary insurance amount of such individual shall be computed or recomputed under this paragraph.

1. Charis

So, for those of us who worked in the public sector for 30 plus years, and then taught in Texas schools for 10 years, this will mean nothing?

1. Monty Exter

If you paid into social security for 30 years prior to teaching for 10 years you are already exempt from the WEP.

2. Patricia Budak

Thank you, Stephanie, for exposing Kevin Brady for the lying and cheating Congressman that he is. I pray Lloyd Doggett becomes Chair of the Ways and Means Committee in January when Democrats take control of the US House of Representatives.

1. Karen Goebel

Yes $200 (what I see is $100 so not sure where the $200 comes from) extra would be nice, BUT I worked and earned the right to get much more!! At retirement, my SS benefit was calculated at 1/3 of my earned SS benefit. Very sad for retired educators who continue to see their health care premiums increase with very little hope of seeing a cost of living increase anytime in next 30 years. The dream would be for the elimination of WEP and resumption of total amount due per month/per retiree beginning immediately. (no retroactive amount expected) However, dreams are just that -dreams. Call me a pessimist, but at 70, I do not look for this proposed new law to help me any. Seems like this is more lip service than true service from our state and national representatives. PLEASE, prove me wrong!

4. Russ Stovall

I worked two jobs at times while I was teaching, plus jobs while in high school and college. We need to abolish WEP. I and many others worked our 40 quarters just like anyone else and deserve to have the same benefits as those that didn’t teach. I know retired judges that collect from 3 different entities with no penalties. Please get this passed.

5. Donna

THANK YOU Congressman Brady and Richard Neal for keeping the WEP alive! I retired in 2002. After teaching for 32 years I was “shocked” to find out that my 10 years/40 quarters I put into Social Security (above my teaching pension) would not be credited to me.
    I have written every House of Representative a personal letter asking for their support in voting FOR WEP & GPO. I received replies from Representatives – John Carter, Will Hurd, Michael T. McCaul, Lamar Smith, Brian Babin. I truly appreciate their time in responding and their Vote of Yes.
    The “fairness” and “logic” is needed in the Vote for REPEAL of WEP/GPO. But if a formula is all that can be salvaged, that will be appreciated.

6. Elaine Hutzelman

Thank you to Rep. Kevin Brady for your interest and dedication to the retired teachers of Texas. Wish more were like you so we could correct this unfair practice of the government. It’s hard to live on the same salary since 2004 with no cost of living. I am 73 and worked up until last month- Sept.2018, so I could live a bit longer without working ful or part time.

Sincerely,
    Elaine Hutzelman..Houston

7. Stephanie M Laplante

Ted Cruz claims to have submitted a companion to this bill, but his reads verbatim. Is there a difference?

1. J Tooley

Yes, Ted Cruz is a senator and introduced the Senate version. He has a strong history of working on a bi-partisan level and is an amazing constitutionalist.

8. Myke Hunt

Kevin Brady is the architect behind the pitiful ‘health care’ they touted to replace the ACA. He also wrote the bills giving massive tax breaks to the very wealthy while increasing the deficit exponentially which will eventually destroy what’s left of the middle class. He is no hero and I suspect this is simply political grandstanding to appeal to teachers because he AND Cruz are up for re-election . Watch what they do, not what they say. I don’t trust them to do what’s right for teachers –

9. BILL

PLEASE SUPPORT H.R. /6933 PLEASE DO SOMETHING FOR THOSE THAT PAYED AND NOT TO PAY THOSE THAT HAVE NEVER PAYED. THIS NOT A HAND OUT WE HAVE EARNED EVERY PENNY . ITS NOT A CRIME TO DO EXTRA WORK TO SUPPORT OUR FAMILY. SOME WANT WORK ,SOME WORK EXTRA,BUT LOOK WHO IS GETTING SHORT CHANGER,GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS

10. Kathy

Some of the commenters say that those already affected by WEP will get nothing, but the language seems to be saying that those who would otherwise have a different calculation will begin to receive and additional $100 per month starting on 1/1/2020. There is another provision stating that those that are not elligible will get $50/mo. Does this not imply that there would be a little something ($1,200 per year) for those who were affected? And I don’t understand the $50 for those not elligible. Can anyone explain?

11. Mike

Just repeal the WEP and GPO. When I worked in industry no one told me I would get 1/2 of my ss benefit when I retired. When I started working as a teacher, no one told me either.

1. Barbara Conley

Exactly, they stole money from us. Those penalized are our teachers, police officers, paid firefighters. The persons who teach us, and keep us safe. Most unfair law ever. So they dems can give our money to illegal immigrants. Repeal and pay back what they kept….repeal repeal repeal.