The Texas Education Agency announced today that Commissioner of Education Michael Williams has selected the new board of managers for the Beaumont Independent School District. These seven members will be sworn in July 21 and will assume all responsibilities of Beaumont’s previously elected board of trustees for a period of up to two years:
- A.B. Bernard, a business leader who has served on the board of the Beaumont Chamber of Commerce and other organizations.
- Lenny Caballero, director of event facilities for the City of Beaumont.
- Jack Carroll, a personal injury and commercial litigation attorney with Orgain, Bell & Tucker, LLP.
- Joe Domino, former president and CEO of Entergy Texas.
- Vernice Monroe, liaison to the president on Multicultural Enhancement at Lamar University.
- Jimmy Simmons, former president of Lamar University, currently serving as a music instructor there.
- Robert Turner, auto dealership owner and former chairman of the board for the Greater Beaumont Area Chamber of Commerce.
Commissioner Williams also announced his appointment of Vern Butler as interim superintendent of Beaumont ISD. Butler will serve until the board of managers hires a permanent superintendent. Fred Shafer, who was previously appointed conservator of Beaumont ISD in April, will remain in his role supporting the new board of managers and interim superintendent.